Friday, December 03, 2010

Three Weeks of In My Mailbox

Due to school stress I didn't manage to get a mailbox post up the last two weeks,  so this is a combined triple awesome post of the books I have received and which you can expect to be reviewed at In The Next Room in the upcoming months. WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD.

November 14-20th 2010
This Cake is for the Party by Sarah Selecky (Thomas Allen & Son, Ltd.)
The Emerald Atlas (Books of Beginning) by John Stephens (ARC) (Random House Canada) (Unsolicited)
I Am a Japanese Writer by Dany Lafierriere (D&M Publishers Inc)
Every Riven Thing: Poems by Christian Wiman (D&M Publishers Inc)
Give Me Your Heart by Joyce Carol Oates (ARC) (Thomas Allen & Son, Ltd.)
The Diviner's Tale by Bradford Morrow (ARC) (Thomas Allen & Son, Ltd.)
The Legacy by David Suzuki (D&M Publishers Inc)
The Box by Günter Grass (ARC) (Thomas Allen & Son, Ltd.)
The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown (ARC) (TLC Tours)
Foreign Bodies by Cynthia Ozick (Thomas Allen & Son, Ltd.) (Unsolicited)
The Sky is Falling by Caroline Adderson (Thomas Allen & Son, Ltd.)

I am really excited about this batch of books, although I'm honestly not sure that The Emerald Atlas is one I will be reading since I've seen it compared to Lord of the Rings and the basic premise isn't too exciting to me. I may hold a giveaway for it but it is a pretty heavy book so shipping would be expensive, we'll see. I am especially excited for The Weird Sisters, which I did a Waiting on Wednesday on awhile back although all the books look excellent.

November 21-27th 2010
The Alchemist: A Graphic Novel by Paulo Coelho (TLC Tours)
The Metropolis Case by Matthew Gallaway (ARC) (TLC Tours)

Both for book tours, I'm excited to read these. I have read the novel-version of The Alchemist and loved it so I am definitely interested to see how it transfers into graphic form. Just flipping through it is already gorgeous. The Metropolis Case is a book I was really looking forward to so I am excited to have gotten in on a tour.

November 28th-December 4th 2010 

Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards (ARC) (Penguin)
Every Day Is Mother's Day by Hilary Mantel (Picador)
Sellevision by Augusten Burroughs (Picador)
The Appointment by Herta Muller (Picador)
Songdogs by Colum McCann (Picador)
Painkiller Ghosts by J. Marc Harding (Author)
Crazy Loco Love by Victor Villaseñor (Beyond Words)
Mathilda Savitch by Victor Lodato (Picador)
The Friends of Eddy Coyle by George V. Higgins (Picador)

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver (Gift from the wonderful Laala, along with some delicious UK chocolate)

So excited about Lake of Dreams, which I also did a Waiting on Wednesday on recently. Edwards' writing is incredible and I'm sure this book won't disappoint- look for my review in January. Painkiller Ghosts is outside my usual genre but I am trying to expand and it sounded interesting. I am also really excited to read my large bundle of books from Picador, all the titles look amazing.

I also got quite a few ARC ebooks from Simon and Schuster that I hopefully will have time to read before they expire because they all look awesome. Unfortunately school craziness continues this week, so I doubt I'll have a chance to read books which aren't for already scheduled tour dates, which means focusing on Stay With Me by Sandra Rodriguez Barron and getting started on A Secret Gift by Ted Gup.

I'm a few reviews behind as is, so be prepared for a blitz of young adult ones when my hectic period is over in about two weeks. I keep returning unread books to the library which is a little sad, but maybe that means I'll give myself to focus on the massive amount of unread books I now own. Made even worse by a huge book purchase this week (but they're so wonderful). I was lucky enough to receive a scholarship of an additional $7714. Now I'm a broke student, but this is an unexpected large sum of money, so I treated myself to about $130 worth of books. It did include quite a few Hanukkah presents though. 

Do you consider books your treat to yourself? If not, what is? 


If you participate in Mailbox Monday/In My Mailbox/etc leave a link in the comments so I can come visit :)

14 comments:

  1. i re-read the alchemist quite often. gotta get me that graphic novel! so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a delightful collection of books! I read the Joyce Carol Oates collection recently; I have a few of her novels on my TBR stacks.

    I do consider books a treat I give myself....

    Here's my Mailbox:

    (click my name)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's an amazing collection of books. I'm also doing the Alchemist tour, so I hope I get my book soon! Enjoy all your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice collection of books you got last month. There's a few there that are on my wishlist. I have high hopes for The Weird Sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard good things about The Weird Sisters and can't wait to hear more about The Lake of Dreams. Enjoy all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you are sure going to be busy with all those books. I've had my eye on Lake of Dreams since I saw it on Jonita's blog. Have fun and enjoy your new books. Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I can say is wow! I see a lot of titles that look good, but the one that stands out for me is The Weird Sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO, SO many good looking books! Happy reading! My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen the weird sisters title around recently. It looks interesting. Can't wait to see the reviews on that book.

    Charlie
    Bitsy Bling Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. I received for review Out of Touch by Brandon Tietz from the author.

    Twenty-four-year-old Aidin, a wealthy socialite and self-proclaimed "club god," lives a magazine life based on decadence and excess that includes drugs, sex, and gourmet food. It's a life based on surfaces in a place where the surface is all that matters. His therapist later describes him as a materialistic drug addict bent on promiscuity with self-esteem and identity issues.One morning, after a night of heavy partying, Aidin awakes completely vacant of any sensation. He can't feel temperature. He can't feel pressure. He can't feel anything. After a near-fatal stint in denial, he seeks the help of Dr. Paradies, a therapist whose methods are far from conventional. She provides him with a new addiction in the form of a life list--a litany of activities to accomplish. As Aidin completes his list, he discovers talents he never knew he possessed, such as the ability to quickly learn new languages, an IQ off the charts, and amazing physical stamina.With these new discoveries, he questions his doctor's intentions. When Aidin digs for the truth, will he slip back into his addictive habits? Or is there truly a conspiracy underway, as he suspects? The answer forces him to make a life-altering decision.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great lot of books you got! I received an ARC of The Emerald Atlas, and for me, the comparison to Lord of the Rings was the kicker reason that I wanted it! :) The Weird Sisters is on my wantlist, as is The Diviner's Tale. I read and reviewed Crazy Loco Love and really didn't care for it ... I think it has to be one of those love it or hate it books, because the reviews fly between the two extremes. Enjoy all of the great new reads!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great assortment of books! Lake of Dreams looks very good to me. Most of these titles are new to me so I will be checking them out. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. New Follower! What an awesome mailbox this week! Great books! If you haven't already, and if your interested, I'm giving away Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead right now. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, books are definitely treats for myself! Nothing makes me happier than stepping into a bookstore, be it physically or online, with the knowledge that I can pick out any book I want as a gift for me! Needless to say I buy myself a lot of gifts! Thank you for participating in Mailbox Monday! I'm so happy to be this month's host!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!